Pyrites--Spring Term 2018
Happy New Year!
I hope you and your families have had a great festive season.
The Pyrites have hit the ground running this week and their attitude to learning has really impressed us. We have a lot to get through this term, especially in maths, English and our preparation for the SATs.
English (Reading, writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar [SPaG] and speaking and listening):
- We will be studying the Louis Sacher classic ‘Holes’.
- We will be doing some non-fiction writing about mountains, in particular Sir Edmund Hilary and Tenzing Norgay’s first ascent.
- We will be writing (and performing!) a play.
- We will continue our spelling, working our way through the statutory words for Year 5 and 6.
- Multiplication and division
- Ratio and proportion
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Shape, space and measure
We will especially be using our mathematical reasoning skills as this is very much a school focus
- This term’s topic is a history unit based on Vikings and Anglo-Saxons.
- We will also be looking at how technology has changed the world and will debate whether that’s a good thing or not!
- This term we will be doing netball in PE and also lots of circuit training to boost our overall fitness.
- There will also be a number of tournaments against other schools.
- We will be learning all about Judaism
Sir Ranulph Fiennes Award
I am very excited to tell you about The Sir Ranulph Fiennes Award. This is an achievement award for children in Year 6. It is designed to give children the chance to gain important life skills as well as helping their local community. The children will have the opportunity to take part in charity work, conservation work, a presentation, an expedition and demonstrate how they aim to keep active and healthy. There will be more details about this in the next month.
Just a reminder that children are expected to bring a fruit based snack for break time and a bottle of water to help them keep hydrated in class. PE kit is expected to be in school every day but our main PE days are Tuesday and Friday.
I believe this year group have so much potential and am looking to continue working in partnership with you to help them achieve. Please see me if you have any concerns about your child’s development, whether it be academic, social or emotional.
Mr James Rich